Supercell: an expanded version of Clouds
Clouds, the granular synthesis module from Mutable Instruments, was discontinued in 2017. Supercell brings back Clouds in a more accessible 34 hp form factor, offering an improved user interface and several additional features:
- Each of the Blend parameters have been separated into individual controls with their own CV inputs and inverting attenuators (attenuverters).
- A stereo output gain control has been added, providing an additional +6 dB of gain to compensate for low output levels when using certain parameter combinations.
- The inputs and outputs both have mute switches near their respective gain knobs.
- The complex process of changing the sampling time and managing presets has been simplified with dedicated switches and status LEDs.
- Extensive modulation options for the granular parameters including direct patching of external CV, distribution of one CV to all parameters via the AUX input, or an internal smooth random CV that is normalized to any unpatched inputs when AUX is also unpatched. The attenuverters control the modulation depth in all three cases.
- The inputs and outputs now include stereo VCAs and separate VU meters. The knobs act as offset controls when their respective VCA inputs are patched.
- Pitch is now controlled by two separate inputs: the V/Oct input is exponential and the Pitch input is linear. When both inputs are used, their voltages are summed.
- A manual Trig switch (for capturing individual grains) has been added, in addition to the Trig input that was present on Clouds.
All other features of the original Clouds remain intact, including access to the alternate modes. Thanks to Olivier Gillet for making the original Clouds hardware and firmware available under open-source licenses. Third-party firmware such as Parasites (by Matthias Puech) and Beat Repeat (by Julius Kammerl) will be supported in future firmware updates after the initial release of the module.
How to Order
The first batch of Supercell modules has sold out. You can preorder below to reserve a unit from the next batch, which will be available in December 2018. Shipping costs will be calculated during checkout based on your location.